Websense not filtering, LogServer service down. Network Agent not running apparently

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 1 Reply | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
9 Posts
nortrend_support posted on 13 Apr 2011 4:54 PM

Good day:

I hope you can help me with this problem.

Our clients use Websense 6.3.2. They gave maintenance to a switch, and after that, Websense stopped filtering.

First, they had a communication problem, because of the mirroring port, but they solved it. Anyway, they could monitor traffic with TestLogServer, but still having the filtering problem.

Running LogServerConfig we can see their LogServer port is not configured properly, as they have value "1" instead "55805". We can't make any change here, because it says DSN service is not available.

We can't start LogServer and Reporter Scheduler Services, when we try to do it, they start, and after a few seconds, they go down again.

This is what we found on Network Agent settings:

Filtering Service Connection Status:

Filtering Services:

-RUNNING- (IP x.x.x.101)

Active Network Agent Connections:

-NOT RUNNING- (IP x.x.x.101)

-NOT RUNNING- (IP x.x.x.101)

Same IP for the 3 values.

There are 3 NICs in these IPs.  One with values IP:x.x.x.101, Card: xxxx TM., another with IP: X.X.X.101, Card: xxxx XM, and the last one with IP:none, card: xxxx XM.

XM card is the only one recognized by Traffic Visibility Tool. I dont know if that means TM card, it hasn't been recognized.

Event Viewer shows a LogServer error, which said it cant initiate LogDatabase.

That's the information I have collected until now.

Hope you can help me with this issue.

Thanks for your support.

Kind Regards.

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
1,744 Posts

Hi,

- Are all the Websense services started?
 - If the Log Server service is running as a domain\admin account, change to LocalSystem to see if the     service will start.
 - If this issue persists, please stop Log server service, delete the "Logserver.exe.p12" file in the \Websense\bin directory, and restart Log server service to see if it works.

Update the ODBC connection
1. Go to the Start menu in Windows and select Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Data Sources (ODBC). The ODBC Data Source Administrator dialog box opens.
2. Select the System DSN tab.
3. Select the wslogdb63 SQL Server, and then click Configure. The Microsoft SQL Server DSN Configuration wizard opens.
4. Verify that the data source name is wslogdb63 and the SQL Server is the correct one, and then click Next.
5. Select the With SQL Server authentication... option, and then enter the Login ID and Password for access. 6. Click next and change the default database to wslogdb63
7. Continue clicking Next until you see the ODBC Microsoft SQL Server Setup dialog box.
8. Click Test Data Source.
9. When the SQL Server ODBC Data Source test is complete and you receive a message that says the test completed successfully, click OK. When the SQL Server data connection is confirmed, you should be able to start Log Server.
10. Click OK to close the test dialog box, and then click OK twice more to exit the configuration tool.

Update the Log Server connection
1. Go to the Start menu in Windows and select Programs > Websense > Utilities > Log server utility. The ODBC Data Source Administrator dialog box opens.
2. Click the Database tab, and then verify that wslogdb63 appears in the ODBC Data Source Name (DSN) field.
3. Click Connection. The Select Data Source dialog box opens.
4. Click the Machine Data Source tab, and then double-click wslogdb63. The SQL Server Login dialog box opens.
5. Make sure that the Login ID field contains sa, and then enter the password.
6. Click OK, and then click Apply in the Log Server Configuration dialog box.
7. Select the Connection tab, and then stop and restart Log Server:
a. Click Stop.
b. When the text on the Stop button changes to Start, click the button again.
8. Click OK.

"Unable to initialize the Log Database" error means the Log Database might be corrupt, please refer to the following KB article to manually create a new Catalog Database for Websense Enterprise:
http://www.websense.com/support/article/t-kbarticle/Manually-create-a-new-Catalog-Database-for-v6-3-x

Please let me know how it goes.

Best regards

|
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)