Facebook

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
1 Posts
CityOfWindsor posted on 31 Aug 2009 1:30 PM

Trying to block facebook, but unfortunately there are a number of different URL formats they use.

www.facebook.com

0.channel##.facebook.com

[a random 11 digit number].channel##.facebook.com

apps.facebook.com

etc...

I've blocked the "personals and dating category", which www.facebook.com falls under, but there are too many variations that slip through. I also created a user defined host with "facebook.com" in it...

I'm using SurfControl 5.5.0.504, and my licences are up to date.

Any ideas?

|

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
129 Posts
Suggested by Taylor

Hi there,

In a deny rule,  choose the where tab > modify > user define where objects > hosts and domains > new > choose domain >input facebook.com > ok> drag up the "facebook.com" to "members" > commit the rule and see how it works.

Cheers,

Taylor

|
Not Ranked
4 Posts

IM in a situation where we allow facebook but I would like to block the 3rd party apps that people can go to from facebook. So it would eliminate them playing that farm game all day.  Items like that. is it possible without blocking the whole site?

|
Top 25 Contributor
129 Posts

1 when they launch the farm game or playing it, can you see any related traffic in the real time monitor?

2 If yes, block the related URL and see how it works.

|
Not Ranked
3 Posts

Hi! We're trying to control the use of Facebook here and thought of setting a session timeout after every 5 minutes of use. Is it possible to have Websense automatically times out any Facebook session after 5 then allow it to resume after another 5 minutes?

|
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)