Blocking Netflix streaming

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
4 Posts
leo posted on 12 Feb 2010 7:58 AM

I am trying to block Netflix streaming on our network. We have to allow the "Streaming Media" category so I am unable to block it by category.

I have a custom category setup for certain video sites that we do block but the problem I am having with Netflix is that is uses so many different hostnames.     

The numbers in the hostnames vary into the hundreds. I am also unable to block since we use Lime Light for various video streams.

Does anyone have an idea how I can block these URLs without having to list the hundreds of hostnames?

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
5,219 Posts
Trusted Users (MVP)
Websense Product Manager
Websense User Experience

You can use a Regular Expression to recategorize the URL.

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Suggested by benthere9

Block these 2:

Then block this regular expression:

Top 500 Contributor
9 Posts

We are having the same issue, the bad thing now is the Netflix app on tablets and phones.  Where/How do you block the regular expression? Where exactly do you add  - http://netflix-[0-9][0-9][0-9]

Not Ranked
1 Posts

I created an exception and block the url then at the bottom under advance added the following expressions:  (netflix\.com)|(nflximg\.net)  This should work.  If you need to add more expressions to capture more you just place a | after and add more.  This seems to catch most of it but I am still testing it.

Not Ranked
1 Posts

Is that the exact syntax, they don't seem to "match" when I put it in exactly as you have it.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)