Reporting - Browse Time Report and Browse Time Summary Report

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 9 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 1
thholt Posted: 10 Mar 2010 7:42 AM

We would like to request that the Browse Time Report and Browse Time Summary Report be made available in version 7.1.  We have used these reports since version 4.X and were not happy after converting to v7.1 that these two reports were not available in the new version.  Unfortunately, our Human Resources has standardized on these reports that are not available in this version.  In the old versions, it was very easy to get a detailed browse time report that could be viewed by user for the website, time spent at the website, browsing session time spent, clickable website links from the report, and totals for the day and the length of the report for browsing.  There were also page numbers in the reports.  We have worked with technical support to try and produce the same report.  The best solution was to have two reports and cross reference between the two.  This is so unworkable that we cannot even suggest this to HR.  We also requested that a SQL query be produced to give us this information in the format that websense has had since version 4.  Technical Support stated that they "could not support composing SQL queries".   It would be much easier for websense to produce the report than us poking in the database.    Why the drastic change in reporting in the new version?  We request that these reports be restored to the new version immediately.

|
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 12

Would like to second this request -  currently migrating from SurfControl Webfilter to Websense and our customer is accustomed to using the SurfControl report named 'Browse TimeActivity Detail' which gives the browse time detail in a report with the column headers of 'Date' - 'From (Time)' - 'To (Time)' - 'Duration' so at a glance this report gives an easy indication of when a specific user was on the internet, for how long and between what time periods.  

I cannot see any standard report similar to this in Websense Presentation Reports - the closest I could find ion Websense would be 'Presentation Reports' > 'Internet Activity' > 'Summary of Internet Browse Time by User' all though this report only displays total browse time per day with Bandwidth and requests.

It seems poor that Websense would not as a minimum make sure that the reports that were available in SurfControl Webfilter are available within Websense Webfilter - especially as they bought out SurfControl and gave licensing incentives for SC customers to Upgrade/Migrate to WS.

|
Not Ranked
Posts 1

Would like to 3rd that request, these reports were bread & butter to our HR dept as well, I'm in the process of contacting our rep now.

|
Not Ranked
Posts 2

We also need this feature ASAP. Thanks.

|
Not Ranked
Posts 1
WFI replied on 14 Sep 2010 11:29 PM

Can we have an update from Websense to advise if and when this report will be added.

|
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 12

I can provide an update to this as I recently chased Websense support - it’s basically under consideration for the next Websense version release. When I asked for a definitive Yes/No for this feature request to be included Websense could not give me an answer. They also could not give me a definitive date for the next version release other than 'sometime in 2011'.

Very poor approach from Websense in my opinion - I have tried to stress the point to a customer account manager for out licence that our customer is considering ditching Websense in favour of a product that will give this style of report.

What’s even more frustrating is that I don’t think it’s such a biggy to add in to a future patch release...after all it is only a back end SQL script/front end report option to get this set up.

All in all poor show from Websense IMO.

|
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,744

Hi all,

Sorry for the late response.

We do have IBT reporting in IR. Switch the Measure dropdown on the right side to Browse Time and you're able to view user information in browse time. Unknown if that is a valid substitute for what you are requesting.

Regards

Best regards

|
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 12

Thanks for the reply Susie - but your suggestion does not meet the requirement.

Regards

|
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,744

Hi,

What's your case number and feature request number? I would like to track your issue.

But if our tech and feature request team did not provide you the final answer. Maybe because your request is now under consideration.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks

Best regards

|
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 12

Case number 00533985

Feature Request munber FR201004-1349

|
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,744

Hi Andy,

What I can say is that your request is under investigation now.

The product manager will decide whether to accept this for future consideration or ask for more information.  Please note that Websense receives a high volume of feature requests, and as such Websense cannot include all of these requests in the next product release.  That said, the product team is constantly revisiting the list of requests to determine the features that have been most frequently requested, so that the highest priority features are addressed.

We look forward to your continued participation in the Websense community and welcome your active involvement in our product direction.

Best regards

|
Not Ranked
Posts 1

Any update on this? Really need this feature back.

Thanks

Rick

|
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 12

Rick,

I had not had an update to my open Feature Request for this functionality other that what is stated on this thread by the Admin that it is under review - In my opinion the process of Websense Feature Requests is poor in terms of Customer Experience as there is no time line or level of expectations that seem to exist FR requests (as far as I can see). For example this open FR was initially raised in approx 5 Months ago – I have chased it a few times only to be told ‘It’s under Review’ – pretty much get the feeling I am being fobbed off.

I tried to escalate this poor experience to my responsible Websense account Manager and tried to make the point that our customer is considering moving away from Websense to another filtering product due to this report type being available – the response from the Account Manager was that they would chase the FR request –then nothing back!  Again pretty unsatisfactory experience. I suppose what I am trying to say is don’t hold your breath waiting on this. Even if it does eventually get reviewed and agreed as a valid FR it will be 2011 sometime until the next Websense release...so I have been informed.

|
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 53

Hi Guys.

I too have put in a feature request as my HR and Audit departments got use to having us generate the Browse Time Activity Detail reports when we had SurfControl.  I can see why they like them as it summarises when the user has been activity browsing the Internet.  It's funny how a company like Websense with years of experience and as they keep banging on, the market leader, acquired SurfControl and then alleged to take the best features from their products and integrate them into Websense.  Really?  Where?

It surprises me that such an obvious report would be omitted and judging by the response that this thread has generated, it's obviously used by many others.

For those who don't know what the fuss is all about, this report in my organisation allows a manager to see exactly when and how long a member of staff has been using the Internet.  As we have a flexi-time system here, this report can be compared with the staff member's flexi-report and if they've been online during work hours, the manager is quickly able to identify a pattern without actually seeing what sites they've been to and the whole process becomes much less intrusive.  If the staff member says it's work related, then only then, another report showing sites and categories can be run to verify this.

I'm sure there are other applications for this report that I haven't mentioned but I thought I'd add my support here to keep the momentum going for this oversight.

Regards, Rick.

|
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 12

Good post Rick.

I can only suggest keep pressurising Websense for updates to your open Feature Request and escalate the issue to your Websense account Manager (all though I did not actually get much joy doing this). And of course keep adding to this thread!

Perhaps if we keep asking Websense may eventually listen to their customers needs.

|
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS