Blocking Gmail in my environment

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
1 Posts
John Leger posted on 14 Sep 2010 2:14 PM

I am using Websense 7.5 and have a limited access filter set up that allows access to google.com.

Now I have been tasked with allowing google.com but blocking mail.google.com and gmail.com as well as all the variations.

I can not get this to work.

It seems that the limited access filter is allowing anything to the google.com domain and not blocking the gmail functions that are explicitly blocked elsewhere.

Any ideas?

Thanks

John

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
453 Posts

The KB about Gmail chat:

http://www.websense.com/support/article/t-kbarticle/Filtering-Google-Wave-and-Gmail-Chat

Some words in our documentation:

Websense Web Security Gateway now includes signatures to allow Websense Web Security Gateway and Web Security Gateway Anywhere to filter the Google Wave and Gmail Chat protocols on HTTPS.

Google Wave allows users to collaborate in real time via conversation and shared files, including documents, videos, and photos. Gmail Chat is a Google Talk feature that lets users send and receive instant messages.

Google Wave appears in the Web Security Manager Protocols window in the P2P File Sharing category. Gmail Chat is listed in the Instant Messaging / Chat category. Labeled "(WSG only)" in the Protocols window, these signatures are filtered only if Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) decryption and the tunneled protocol detection feature are enabled in the Web Security Manager Settings tab Scanning Options. See TRITON - Web Security Help for information about the tunneled protocol detection feature.

|
Top 10 Contributor
453 Posts

HI john,

1 In the Websense Manager navigation tree:

Main--->filters--->Limited Access Filters-->select the filter which you want to edit( for example seleclt test  ) -->click advanced-->Enter www.google.com in the content pane-->click add   

-->click ok and save all .

2 in websense manager-->policy management -->policies-->the category policy should select the test

Notes:

Websense Express recognizes custom URLs exactly as they are entered. If you redefine www.google.com, related sites, such as gmail.google.com and maps.google.com are not recategorized. If you enter just google.com, however, Websense Express redefines the domain and all related subdomains.

I recur your issue in my environment,mail.google.com and gmail.com should be blocked .

Please try again and tell me the result.

regards,

|
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)