Websense Master Database Download Failure

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 17 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
20 Posts
Ian-G posted on 24 Feb 2009 5:05 AM

Hi,

I am having a recurring problem which is only fixed when I restart the Filtering Service.  I am running Websense 7.0.1 Standalone and the error I receive just about every other night is the following:

02/24/2009 00:56:44,Fatal Error,Websense EIM Server,CategoryAgent,WsCategoryAgent.cpp:534,0x41460001,Error processing Websense Master Database. The system may be out of disk space.

I am certainly not out of disk space.  Does anyone else have this issue and does anyone know what the root cause is?

Thank you,

Ian

|

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
111 Posts
Trusted Users (MVP)

THis sounds like the common error received in V 7.0 - it doesn't state that this error has been resolved in version 7.0.1...

HF 19...

Product   Websense Enterprise
Version Affected   7.000
Version Fixed   0.000
Description   Hide Details
The Filtering Service requires a large amount of virtual memory while loading the Master Database. On certain systems with limited RAM or several other processes running, this can cause the database to fail to load. Typically the error message "Error processing Websense Master Database" will be written to Websense.log when this problem occurs.

|
Not Ranked
1 Posts
Suggested by Barry78

It's NOT resolved in 7.0.1. I recently upgraded to 7.0.1 from 6.3.x Enterprise and all six of my filtering servers get this error constantly. I opened a case with Websense support, and recieved this answer:

"Currently there is an issue with load the database with version 7.0.1. We are currently working on a hotfix which is not yet available. You may install version 7.0.0 and a hotfix for this problem is available."

I can't believe they are even offering 7.0.1 as a "stable" version, as this is a known issue with NO fix. So until they come out with the hotfix, I either have to downgrade my entire setup to 7.0.0 and apply the hotfix, or babysit my filtering servers and manually fix everytime this happens (ie. stop the filtering service, delete the websense, ect. files, restart the service, manually update). Very frustrating!

|
Top 150 Contributor
23 Posts
Suggested by ocsupport

yeah the hotfix doesnt work... we've had this issue from day 1.... Websense tech support tried the patch. When that didnt work..they tried the patch again....and again. Then they told me all my setting and customizations will have to be deleted and I will have to re-add them manually. Which my response was well if I have to do that I might as well buy another product! I finally made a script that delete's the old master so it can download without issue.....we are waiting till 7.1.1 comes out then we might upgrade again

|
Top 10 Contributor
2,759 Posts
Editor

Have you applied the latest Filter Service patch?

Master Database load problems 3/4/2009 |  Download
Product   Websense Enterprise
Version Affected   7.010
Version Fixed   0.000
Description   Hide Details
Websense Filtering Service requires a large amount of virtual memory while it is loading the Master Database. On certain systems that have limited RAM or are simultaneously running several other processes, this could cause the database load to fail. Typically, the error message "Error processing Websense Master Database" was written to the Websense.log file when this problem occurred. When a v6.x version of Websense Enterprise was upgraded to v7, if the v6.x Policy Server configuration file (config.xml) contained an exceptionally large number of category sets, Filtering Service was unable to load the Master Database. Websense Filtering Service and Network Agent would not always use the communication ports specified in websense.ini. Instead, random ports were sometimes used, which could cause communication problems (if the network configuration restricted traffic to only known Websense ports). One symptom of this problem was the inability of the Websense M

JACOB SLOAN, CCNA, WCSE

|
Top 10 Contributor
2,759 Posts
Editor

By the way:  Never mix patches with different versions.  If a patch is for 7.0.0, never use it with 7.0.1 or vice versa.

JACOB SLOAN, CCNA, WCSE

|
Top 150 Contributor
20 Posts

I have not done so, but I will later this week.  Thanks for the heads up!

|
Not Ranked
2 Posts

Thank you for providing an explanation on this, but I don't see an answer.  I've upgraded from 6.3.x to 7.0.0 and have applied the hot fixes but am still having the problem with the database failing to update. 

Are you coming out with a fix that works?  If not, what's the REAL solution here?

Thanks,

Tom

|
Top 150 Contributor
23 Posts

Tom

what we have done is created a script that shuts down the services deletes the database(bin\websense) then restarts the service which forces a full new database download.

They have just released another patch for 7.0 yesterday... not sure if it works yet

I really wish i could go back to 6.3...that actually worked for us

|
Not Ranked
2 Posts

If on Windows, would you be willing to share the script with me?  If so, please email me at blauvt01@gmail.com

Thanks,

Tom

|
Top 100 Contributor
26 Posts

I've been having issues with both Windows and Linux filter servers.  The Windows one seems to be worse.  One issue I have is that there isn't nearly enough error logging, especailly in Linux. 

-=Dan=-

|
Top 150 Contributor
20 Posts

Following up on my last post.  I have applied the patch and I have been running without any issues since.  It's been almost two weeks, so the problem is solved on my side.  Thanks!

|
Top 150 Contributor
23 Posts

FYI

keep an eye on the database version... ours said it was updating correctly but the database version never changed

|
Top 150 Contributor
20 Posts

Good call on the version check.  I checked again to make sure and it has been updating properly and the newest versions are coming down.  I do have 10GB RAM on the standalone box.

|
Top 100 Contributor
26 Posts

Ian,

I'm not clear if you patched 7.0 or 7.01.   Which base version did you patch?

-=Dan=-

|
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >